Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I'm obsessed...

I've officially declared myself obsessed with Harry Potter... I'm almost done with the Work and the Glory series, so even though I've been craving to read HP again, I resisted so I can finish without distraction. Instead, my little brother downloaded the HP audio books .. Fast-forward a month later and I haven't listened to any music thanks to these being on my zune! Also, I'm just starting Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.... ANYWAY! I've been meaning to record my favorite Dumbledore quotes {not in any particular order} for a while now, so here we go! {And if you're really nice, I'll even include more of my favorites from other characters!}

1. "It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
2. "It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be!"
3. "We are only as strong as we are united; as weak as we are divided."
4. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."
5. "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
6. "Ah, music...a magic beyond all we do here!"
7. "In dreams we enter a world that's entirely our own."
8. "Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it."
9. "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that."
10. "Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love."
11. "It is our choices, Harry, that show us who we truly are, far more than our abilities."
12. "To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."
13. "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry. But why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
14. "It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well."
15. "The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
16. "Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."
17. "It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay though never quite eradicated."
18. "Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right."
19. "We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on."
20. "The consequences of our actions are so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed."
21. "You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself plainly when you have need of him."
22. "Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike."
23. "Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young."
24. "People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right."
25. "Welcome! Welcome to the new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you.."
26. "I make mistakes like the next man. In fact, being - forgive me - rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger."


"Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world." {Hermoine Granger}
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." {Sirius Black}
"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." {Sirius Black}
"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure." {Luna Lovegood}
"What a beautiful place to be with friends. Dobby is happy to be with his friend...Harry Potter." {Dobby}
"We do not need magic to change the world. We carry all the power we need inside ourselves already. We have the power to imagine better." {J.K. Rowling}
"Achievable goals are the first step to self-improvement." {J.K. Rowling}
"Bad news, Harry. I've just been to see Professor McGonagall about the Firebolt. She, er, got a bit shirty with me. Told me I'd got my priorities wrong. Seemed to think I cared more about winning the cup than I do about you staying alive. Just because I told her I didn't care if it threw you off, as long as you caught the Snitch first. Honestly, the way she was yelling at me... you'd think I'd said something terrible?" {Oliver Wood}

Well, that's that! If you have any other quotes you love, please do share! This post took me way too long and I'm sure I left out many many more jewels! I've revealed my obsession to Cody, so I'm hoping he will keep that in mind as the holiday season approaches....



No comments:

Post a Comment